Wednesday 20 May 2015

UAS Sensor Placement (with a side of FPV)

     Why does a person buy an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)?  There are numerous reasons but two come to mind as the most prevalent: recreation and hobby.  I currently own two UAV systems that are purely used for recreation: Parrot Bebop Drone with Skycontroller and Inspire 1. Both are excellent recreational UAV’s that provide exceptional user applications/control; however, I find myself inclined to start a new hobby, which is becoming a First Person View (FPV) racer and competing in one/multiple competitions.  Let’s start this blog off by talking about the two UAV’s and wrap it up with a “what if” scenario regarding FPV competition.

     I purchased the Parrot Bebop Drone with Skycontroller through the Apple Store.  The drone is extremely easy to control, but not without a little homework on its respective operation (hint: read the manual).  You can control the drone via tablet or smartphone and I opted to use my tablet in tandem with the skycontroller.  Two complaints I have with current market UAV’s are link distance and battery life.  The skycontroller is equipped with an amplified Wi-Fi 36 dBm radio and four antennas (Apple, 2015), which extends the Bebop Drone's Wi-Fi range (I have flown at least 1 mile without lost connection).  The battery life is decent in the Bebop Drone as well (17-20 min).  Let’s get to the meat and potatoes of the Bebop drone and talk about its camera system.  Camera Specs: CMOS 14Mpx, 1/2.3;  Fisheye lens 180° 1/2,2: 6 optical elements and 14 Mega pixels sensor; Video stabilization: Digital on 3-axes; Video definition: 1920x1080p (30fps); Photo definition: 4096x3072 px; Video encoding: H264; Photo file format: JPEG, RAW, DNG;  Internal memory: Flash 8 GB (Bebop, 2015).  The camera is fully controllable with a 30 degree axis range of motion and is mounted on a platform that absorbs vibrations; this makes for an incredibly clear and movement free picture/video.  I highly recommend the Bebop drone for the average recreationalist; however, if you’re serious about your pictures/video then the Inspire 1 is a great upgrade.

     Sure you could spend close to $25,000 on a UAV that boasts excellent abilities/controls, but do you really need to stretch the pocketbook that much?  I say no… the Inspire 1 was the system I found which offered high-end features at an excellent price point.  Being totally honest here, my Inspire 1 currently sits in its original shipping box in the closet.  I’m currently working overseas and have not had an opportunity to use the UAV.  Reliable/accurate user reviews are so very important and with that, I promise to follow-up on this blog with my impression(s).  Why did I buy this particular system?  User reviews/videos were the spark that lit my interest.  The future is bright (my blog namesake/title) and currently 4K is the resolution of this bright future.  This UAV’s camera system offers just that.  It uses a DJI camera which is mounted on a gimbal that offers smooth/crystal clear pictures.  Camera Specs:  Video: 4K @ 24-30 fps, or 1080p @ 24-60fps; Photos: 12 Megapixels; Lens: 9 elements in 9 groups including an aspherical element; 1/2.3 inch CMOS sensor; 94 wide-angle FOV; 3-axis, 360 rotating gimbal (DJI, 2015).  I purchased the system with one controller ($2,899) with the hope it will open the door and assist me in pursuing my goal of movie/video production. Now, will either of these systems help me pursue my new-found hobby of FPV racing?

     There are two things that every racer (no matter the platform) desire and are considered must haves to be competitive: aerodynamics and speed.  Honestly, the Bebop Drone and Inspire 1 lack in those departments.  The Bebop drone is aerodynamic with its integrated camera setup, but it lacks in speed.  The Inspire 1 boasts a speed of 22 m/s (DJI, 2015), but it lacks the aerodynamics to be competitive.  The camera is mounted underneath via gimbal and that just won’t work in a serious FPV race.  To be a competitive FPV racer, I would need to start from scratch and drop some coin on a new set-up.  After doing a little research on set-ups, I have decided to build my own using off the shelf equipment.  Winning a race and saying, “I built it” is a victory all in its own.  After putting in some serious time researching the numerous products available, I have decided to go with the following configuration:

  • Frame: Self-designed 3D printed frame
  • Flight Controller: Hobbyking KK2.1 board
  • Motors: Tiger MN1806 "Blackout 3S" 2300kv Motor
  • ESC: HobbyKing Blue Series 12A
  • Propellers: Gemfan 5030 – Red color
  • Video Transmitter: FatShark 250 mW, 5.8 GHz
  • Antenna: 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Omni Antenna Set (RHCP) (IBCrazy)
  • Video Camera: Mobius HD camera, wide angle edition
  • Power distribution: XAircraft X650 Pro JST 1 To 5 Power Cable E7008
  • Landing gear: GetFPV Carbon-Fiber Landing Gear for QAV400
  • Model recovery device: Hobbyking Discovery Buzzer
  • FC mount: M3 Nylon threaded spacers + M3 nylon screws and nuts
  • FATSHARK Attitude V2 SD FPV video goggles
 
The cost for this build is roughly $943.  I did not want to break the bank; I wanted something that was not only fast but would allow for upgrades.  I’m sure in the next few months the above list of wants will change, but as of today, that’s the equipment I would purchase.  

     To summarize, without a doubt UAV’s are the future of aviation.  You don’t have to be a multi-millionaire to own/operate these wonderful aircraft.  Currently, there are items on the market for the first-time user all the way to video/movie producer.  You can buy an off shelf system or build your own.  There is no limit to the customization options for these aircraft and if you are like me, you love to customize.

- Garrick





References
Apple Store (2015, May). Parrot Bebop Drone with Skycontroller.  Retrieved from http://store.apple.com/us/product/HH4Y2VC/A/parrot-bebop-drone-with-skycontroller
DJI Store (2015, May). Inspire 1.  Retrieved from http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-1#/spec
Parrot Company Website (2015, May). Parrot Drones.  Retrieved from http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bebop-drone/#panel-devices




1 comment: